Sunday, March 9, 2008

Socks!!!


I've been knitting for a few years but until now had never made a sock. I did make Christmas stockings for Jason and myself to hang above the fireplace but that did not require tiny needles and tiny yarn. A couple of months ago (sometime before Christmas) I decided I would make a pair of socks for Jason. I guess it took me awhile to get the courage to tackle them but I finally started his socks. Below is a preview of how it's going. Basically it was really slow to start with (Jason keeps reminding me that he needs 2 socks, not just one) because for 6 1/2 inches you knit 2 purl 2. For you non-knitters out there that just means that it is VERY monotonous! However, as soon as I started the heel things got a lot more fun and moved a lot faster.


Below is a picture of Jason trying the sock on. I'm using 2 circular needles instead of double pointed needles to knit the socks so he can try them on as I knit them to make sure they fit. So far so good! :-)


This is the heel of the sock. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out.

And this is what the sock currently looks like. I've knit the leg,turned the heel and am now working on the gusset. I'm learning a lot about sock anatomy as I go! I'm planning on working on it more today and tonight so hopefully I'll have even more progress to show tomorrow!

No comments: